Time Management Workshop

The clock is ticking

Barring some cultural differences in the calendar and time keeping; the earth completes its rotation in 24 hours, the moon its revolution within 14 days, a year has 52 weeks and to the most, 366 days. And this is the same for every individual on this planet earth. Time and tide wait for nobody. Time management involves making the best of whatever time we have available at hand.

Problem with time

There are two main problems that one customarily faces with time: finding enough of it, and if one manages so, using it wisely when found. The Pareto Principle or the 80:20 rule says that typically 80% of unfocused effort gives only 20% results. This implies that remaining 80% results are achieved with only 20% of the effort. Thus optimization of time becomes very important because high pay off tasks need get accomplished faster. That is what the wise man would do.

Prioritization and scheduling

Importance of prioritization is more when the time is limited and there is so much to do (which is invariably always). It thus becomes imperative to do what is most essential so that there is no floundering and flurry later; and tasks do not get neglected. Effective and realistic timetables and activity matrices help quantify task importance and schedule the indispensable ones first while the remaining follow. As obvious as it seems, this requires considerable practice to acquire perfection. Simple tips and techniques help make the process easier. Then the goals seem clearer; and clearer goals are more attainable.

Managing vs. being managed

Managers are in control. If time is moving at a faster pace than the individual, it indicates a need to speed up. And each one has only a limited human ability. Most encroach on sleep time to accomplish what they must; however, sleep is more than just a basic need. It is quintessential for productivity and efficiency. Thus being a good time manager demands conscious control of time spent on specific activities, with a global focus to increase effectiveness and productivity; not decrease it.

Time management = Life management

Contrary to the widely held belief, managing time is not just important for school or college children and office personnel. The term has a broadened inclusion of organizing one’s life. There are no guarantees of waking up the next morning after having gone to bed at night or surviving the traffic jam or the flight to the neighboring city. Time management involves making the best of the current moment, knowing that we rarely ever get second chances. Hence it makes better sense to make the most efficient and judicious use of time while we still have it. We aim to educate and transform working groups with application of principles from organizational behavior to modify work designs and optimize human performance.

Organizational change

Organizations can manage their employees time. Some tips:

  • Definition of responsibilities
  • More employee engagement
  • Training on newer skills
  • Implementing technology
  • Optimal employee-job fit
  • Enhancing social interaction
  • Flexible work schedules
  • Performance management
  • Evaluation of distractions
  • Contemporary leadership
  • Openness in communication

Individual change

Each one bears responsibility to manage their own time

  • Improving one’s environment
  • Keeping a positive attitude
  • Watching for signs of stress
  • Setting the right priorities
  • Setting a work-life balance
  • Personal attention management
  • Insulation-Isolation-Delegation
  • Setting gravitational goals
  • The A-B-C task categorization
  • Eisenhower 4 quadrant matrix
  • Pareto 80-20 productivity rule
  • POSEC hierarchy of realization

Time management workshop

The workshop format makes it deliverable with guaranteed results

  • Led by organizational experts
  • Practical techniques taught
  • Structured established modules
  • Customized organizational needs
  • Individual & organization focus